Thursday 15 December 2016

Thursday, Dec 15, 2016


What people say versus what they mean is actually a very interesting and tricky topic at the same time.
Read some on that topic herethis one, and that link too. Then, follow these tasks.
Task one:
Pick out at least five expressions from these ones that someone has said to you or to anyone you know or you said it to somebody and they (or you) have misinterpreted them and write them down. Write down what you or the people really meant at that time.
Task two:
Click on this link and record yourself describing just one situation that you have had that someone, or yourself, said something and what you or them actually meant; share the situation, what, and why that misunderstanding happened.

Don’t be confused — this is not a place to lay down and have a rest!
When it comes to the spoken word, Americans are a truly baffling bunch. So we’ve decoded their most irritating idioms.
1. When an American shop assistant says, “Have a nice day!”Translation: “Honestly, I don’t care what kind of day you have. But please tell my manager I was friendly so I get extra commission.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I will sob myself to sleep if I subsequently learn that you had a less than adequate day.”
2. When an American you’ve just met says, “Let’s have lunch sometime.”Translation: “Let’s never ever eat a meal together.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I urgently need to see you put food in your mouth.”
3. When an American friend says, “I hooked up with…”Translation: “I had sex with/kissed/hung out with…”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I attached myself to someone with a metal clasp.” 
4. When American parents say, “Good job!”Translation: “Hey! Everyone! My two-year-old is a genius because he split an infinitive, then corrected himself! Also, he went pee-pee in the potty.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “Excellent career choice. Well done son.”
5. When a drunken American says, “I’m actually Irish.”Translation: “My great great grandfather was part Irish. Or at least that’s what I heard.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I’m Irish.”
6. When a sarcastic American says, “You do the math.”Translation: “Work it out, fish brain.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “Please do some long division immediately.”
7. When an annoying American says, “Your shirt is so cute!”Translation: “That’s one good looking upper body garment, be it a vest top, a t-shirt or an actual bona fide shirt – with cuffs and a collar.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I’m sexually attracted to your blouse.” 
8. When an annoyed American says, “I could care less.”Translation: “I couldn’t care less.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I could care less.”
9. When an American with a full bladder says, “I need to use the restroom.”Translation: “I need the loo.”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “I need to find a room where I can have a quiet lie down.”
10. When a festive American says, “Happy holidays!”Translation: “Happy culturally non-specific celebration in late December/early January!”
Definitely doesn’t mean: “Have a nice time in Ibiza.”
...
...

No comments:

Post a Comment