Wednesday 2 December 2015

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Wednesday's Assignment

So, besides Christmas, which we've looked at over the last couple of days, what else do Canadians celebrate? Imagine being Santa Claus and arriving in a home that doesn't celebrate Christmas:
Christmas Hanukkah Kwanzaa Graphic
Why is this picture funny? Identify some of the objects you see in this picture.
  1. Role play: Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa
    1. Learn the vocabulary, using a good online text-to-speech resource. Can you recommend one? How about any of the following?
      1. From Text to Speech: speed, voices
      2. ReadSpeaker TTS + accents
      3. Text2Speech: simple choices
    2. Then do the usual, practising speaking aloud and getting a partner to practise with.
    1. Do you think it's ok to mix up various traditions? With your partner, write a 10-line dialogue using the vocabulary you have learnt. Feel free to include a chirbit.
    2. Listen and take notes: Hanukkah for Kids.
      1. Discuss in groups of 4 or more how historical Hanukkah is.
      2. Publish your findings.
Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa
diverse/ customreligious observanceAdvent wreathesMidnight Mass/ in-laws/ purely/ secular/ 
exchanging gifts, stockingsChristmas tree carols/ Nat King Cole/ eggnog/ under the tree/ Santa Claus
Hanukkah/ festival of lights/ spins the dreidel/ Chrismukkah KwanzaaAfrican- Americanheritage

1-Hi, Ann. Long time no see. Is everything Okay?
--Hi, Yucho. I'm so glad you get here in one piece. Would you like to go shopping with me?
2-Of cause, Ann. What would you like to buy?
--You know it's December. I should prepare gifts for my families and my friends. By the way, I'd like to invite
  you to my home to celebrate Christmas. 
3-Great! It's my honor. Do you invite some other guys? I do like Christmas carols and the eggnog.
--Yes. Liza, she is Jewish. Stephanie, she is African-American.
4-So we will have a Chrismukkah instead of a religious observance. 
-- I decorate my home with a Christmas tree, poinsettia, mistletoe, holly and stockings. I already prepare a big
  Midnight Mass.
5-Sounds good. Diverse customs get together, let's do it. We can exchange our gifts under the Christmas tree.
--I hope all of you guys like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment