Monday 11 January 2016

Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday's Assignment

We all make mistakes, but how we deal with them may be different in different cultures. Making an excuse is
one of them:

Do dogs and excuses appear together in excuses in your L1? Here are more excuses in English.
Here are your tasks:
http://mrscienceut.net/dog_eat_homework_lg_clr.gif
Pick a favourite.
  1. Vocabulary & Pronunciation: Time Off from Work
    1. Do not practise silently only. Speak aloud the new words, comparing the pronunciation carefully with the audio.
    2. Make sentences using the new vocabulary.
  2. Role play: Plagiarism
    1. Listen. Then discuss with a partner.
    2. Practise the dialogue by yourself and then with your partner.
    3. Record your dialogue on Chirbit or Audioboom and place it, with these instructions, on your blog.
  3. Write a brief trip report (no more than 100 words) for last Thursday's visit to TRL. 
    1. If you didn't go, include your excuse and interview a classmate who did.
    2. Add pictures (feel free to steal from my FB).
    3. Have 2 classmates check your work before hitting the Publish button.
My buddy from college, Jack, was getting married and our friend Rob was planning a bachelor party for him in Vegas. It was going to be the last weekend of the month and I wanted to go. The trouble was, I was scheduled to work that weekend. I needed to get the time off from work or I was going to miss out on all the fun. 

I have some vacation leave, but company policy requires that my boss sign off on any leave we take. I’ve heard of companies doing that for longer periods of leave —like maternity leave or a leave of absence—but our company does that even for vacation leave. I thought about just calling in sick that weekend—I do have a lot of accumulated sick leave—but I didn’t think my boss would appreciate me leaving him hanging

In the end, I just asked him straight out and, to my surprise, he said, “okay.” Now, I just need to get ready for a wild weekend with the guys. I can’t wait! 

buddy: Hey ! sit your site belt, my buddy.
a bachelor party : We went to a bachelor party last weekend.
Vegas: There are lots of hotels in Vegas.
schedule: I should check out my schedule first.
sign off on: My boss should sign out on any document we make.
miss out on: I don't want to miss out on all of fun.
the leave of absence: My sister got the leave of absence and went back China last year.
calling in sick: You can just calling in sick to your child's teacher if he had ill.
maternity - paternity: If you pregnant, you have to work at least  7 months before labor and  you can get the maternity insurance.
accumulated sick leave: My sister gets the time off from work by using her accumulated sick leave.
ask sb. straight out: I asked my husband straight out for his bad hobby.
leaving him hanging: My child upsets us leaving him hanging.


Paul: All done. 

Samantha: You’re done with your paper? How can that be? I’m just getting started. 

Paul: I’m just a better student than you are. 

Samantha: Let me see that. You didn’t write this. 

Paul: No, I didn’t. I downloaded somebody’s paper from some website and slapped my name on it. The professor will never know. Wise up. Do you want me to find one for you? 

Samantha: No way! Not only is it cheating, if you get caught, you could flunk the class or get expelled

Paul: Don’t be such a goody two-shoes. Everybody does it. I know a guy who pays somebody in another state to write all of his papers for him and another guy who lifts his papers from old books. Don’t tell me you’ve never paraphrased ideas from a source and represented them as your own. 

Samantha: Are you kidding me? Borrowing ideas from a book with proper attribution is what you’re supposed to do. You, on the other hand, are plagiarizing your way to your degree

Paul: Damn straight! Look who’s done with his homework and who is still working on hers. 

Samantha: I’d rather earn what I get and know that I didn’t shortchange myself out of an education! 

slapped my name on
 Wise up
get caught
 flunk the class
get expelled.
goody two-shoes
 lifts his papers from
 paraphrased ideas
proper attribution
plagiarizing your way to your degree
Damn straight
shortchange myself out of





No comments:

Post a Comment