Tuesday 5 January 2016

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Tuesday's Assignment

While much of our public library consists of clicks, we're going to make a visit this Thursday to the bricks:
What caption would you write here?

Here are your tasks:
  1. Vocabulary and pronunciationVisiting a Library
    1. Identify 5 new/difficult words/terms
    2. Make sentences using those words, and have a partner check your pronunciation of them
  2. Do this listening exercise: Library Tour
  3. Watch this video, and identify 3 things/places you hope to see.
  4. Role play with a partner what you hope to see on Thursday’s field trip and make arrangements to meet. Practise once, and record your chirbit.

to read in the local paper / to check it out / to see the new library for myself / to walk in 
to walk around / to spot the non- fiction section / to move onto the fiction stacks
to go over to the computer / to check the online catalogue / to write down the call number
to step up to the counter / to scan the bar code on my book / to stand in line /  
the hours of operation / Monday through Saturday from 10 to 6 / in the library parking lot /  right away / right then 
I was all set  / what the loan period was for the book

I read in the local paper that a new public library had just opened two weeks ago in my neighborhood. I wanted to check it out. But first, I called the library to check the hours of operation. The librarian told me that they were open Monday through Saturday from 10 to 6 so I decided to see the new library for myself

I parked my car in the library parking lot and walked in. There were two library clerks behind the counter and a librarian at the reference desk . I walked around and spotted the non- fiction section and moved onto the fiction stacks. There was a pretty good collection in both of these areas. I wanted to see if they had a book I've been wanting to read so I went over to the computer to check the online catalogue. As it turns out, they had one copy and it had not been checked out. I wrote down the call number and went to the stacks. I found it right away

When I walked in, I also noticed that the library had music CDs, videos, and DVDs that could be checked out. I looked briefly at the collection but decided not to check out any right then

I had my book and I was all set. I stood in line and waited to check my book out. The library clerk said, "Next please," and I stepped up to the counter. I asked her what the loan period was for the book. She told me that the due date was three weeks from today. I gave her my library card. She scanned the bar code on my book and stamped the due date on the back of it. It was quick and easy. I was so glad to have a nice new library so close to home.

Hello and welcome to the university library. This taped tour will introduce you to our library facilities and operating hours.
First of all, the library's collection of books, reference materials, and other resources are found on levels one to four of this building. Level one houses our humanities and map collections. On level two, you will find our circulation desk, current periodicals and journals, and our copy facilities. Our science and engineering sections can be found on level three. You can also find back issuesof periodicals and journals older than six months on this level. Finally, group study rooms, our microfilm collection, and the multimedia center are located on level four.
Undergraduate students can check out up to five books for two weeks. Graduate students can check out fifteen books for two months. Books can berenewed up to two times. There is a 50-cents-a-day late fee for overdue booksup to a maximum of $15.00. Periodicals and reference books cannot be checked out.
The library is open weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. The library is closed on Sundays.

reference materials (noun): generally books such as dictionaries and encyclopedias that can not be checked out
circulation desk (noun): the main desk where you check out books

periodicals (noun): magazines, journals, and newspapers
back issues (noun): older periodicals, sometimes over several months old

"thumb through" = look casually at
"I thumbed through a number of books related to my research topic, but I didn't find what I needed."

"bite off more than you can chew" = try to do more than you can accomplish
"I think you've bit off more than you can chew in this case. Trying to write a research paper on the history of civilization in one week is really impossible."

No comments:

Post a Comment