Monday 26 October 2015

Monday, October 26, 2015

It's the last week of the month! So let's remember to do our feedback on the LINC program!


Monday's Assignment

It's the last week of the month! So let's remember to do our feedback on the LINC program!

Welcome back! Did you connect with anybody over the weekend?



Here are your tasks:
  1. Register for this Friday's field trip to a career event at York University.
  2. Browse and find the 5 most attractive groups you could join.
  3. Role Play: Making Business Contacts
  4. Create your online business and social network:
    1. Add at least 5 classmates and your teacher to your LinkedIn network.
    2. Add at least 5 classmates and your teacher to your Facebook network.
1.

2.
Henry's Photography Workshops (Ontario)
Digital Ocean Toronto Community
Kaleidoscope TR//Virtual Reality Film-making
Startup Blink Toronto
Startup Agile Group-Toronto

3.
Phan: Hi, Montel. Thanks for agreeing to meet with me. 

Montel: It’s my pleasure. 

Phan: Since I’m new here, I was hoping you might be willing to give me some pointers on how to get new clients. To be honest, I’ve never been on this side of the fence before and I’m a little out of my comfort zone

Montel: Oh, sure, I’m glad to give you as much help as I can. Getting clients is a bit of an art, but the key is building relationships. 

Phan: What do you mean? 

Montel: Most of my clients come to me through networking. I get referrals from people who know me and know my track record

Phan: Really? I was thinking that I needed to send out some direct mail or do some cold calling

Montel: You may need to do that to start, but if I were you, I’d also spend time making connections in the business community. Go where you think business prospects may be. To woo new clients, you need to meet them first. 

Phan: How do I find out where they’ll be? 

Montel: Again, you make contacts. You’ve made the first step today by getting in touch with me. I’m going to a reception tonight and it will be a who’s who of the business community. Do you want to go? 

Phan: Really? You’d let me tag along

Montel: Sure, but there’s a quid pro quo. In the future, if you get invited to something like this, you invite me to go along. 

Phan: That’s more than fair. I think I just got my first lesson in making business connections. 

new words
talk up:speak good /movers and shakers: leader/ on the top of/ pull in a call to / a vast network/ name drop/ tight with/ 
go way back/ heavy hitter/ bend over backwards for: support / get the word out/ any day now

No comments:

Post a Comment