Tuesday 20 October 2015

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Tuesday's Assignment

Welcome back to class!
Hope you enjoyed the concert yesterday. Did it help you in any way in terms of your health?
This week, we hope to exercise our bodies and our minds a bit.
Here are your tasks:
  1. Listening--take notes and practise pronunciation: Healthy Lifestyle
  2. Role Play--first by yourself, then with a partner: Eating Unhealthy Foods
  3. Write up your trip report--in either first or third person, about our trips to the AGO and Roy Thomson Hall. This is very important if you wish to be assessed on your writing skills.
  4. As Canada looks at the federal election results, here are the results of the Student Vote in which we participated before the Thanksgiving Holiday. Compare them, and tell a partner if and how you find the comparison surprising.
 
1.Healthy Lifestyle 
The man wants to playing the basketball with his colleagues. For avoiding a heart attack,his wife asks him to do something. First, she asks him to have a physical before his begin. Second, she asks her husband to watch his diet, to cut back on the fatty foods and to eat more vegetables. Last, she asks him to take up a little weight training to strengthen his muscles and to try cycling to build up his cardiovascular system.

2. Role Play
Helen: So, what’s for lunch? 

Gabe: Since you were nice enough to spend your Saturday morning helping me out, I’ll make sandwiches for lunch. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but I make a mean sandwich. 

Helen: That sounds good, but you’re not going to use those cold cuts, are you? 

Gabe: I was. Why? 

Helen: Those are processed meats made with additives and a lot of sodium – definitely not what you’d want to put into your body. 

Gabe: I eat these kinds of cold cuts all the time. 

Helen: You shouldn’t if you don’t want to eat a lot saturated fat. 

Gabe: Okay, how about if I make us salads. 

Helen: Not with those greens. Unless they’re organic, they’re full of pesticides and chemicals. 

Gabe: [sighs] All right, how about if I make us healthy smoothies? 

Helen: Only if you use only fresh fruit. Bottled juices are full of high-fructose corn syrup. Yuck! 

Gabe: I’ve got a great idea. 

Helen: What? 

Gabe: You pick the restaurant and I’ll buy you lunch. 

Helen: I don’t want to put you to any trouble. 

Gabe: It’s no trouble at all. [Said under his breath] I’d do anything to get you out of my kitchen! 


3. Write up your trip report
There was a free organ concert by Dr.David Baskeyfield at Roy Thomson Hall yesterday. I didn't show up  because I got had the flu last week and was still feeling uncomfortable. This morning, Jane told me something about the concert. Dr.David Baskeyfield is a very young British organist. And he is also the First Prize Winner of the 2014 Canadian International Organ Competition. He played seven masterworks at the concert. Jane said she had never seen the masterworks performed so brilliantly. He could use his hands and feet to play at the same time; It was fantastic. I (feel so sorry)regretted missing the concert and hope to have another chance to see the show.

4.           Seat Count                           Vote Count

1 comment:

  1. That was a great field trip report! Hope you can join us next time :)

    ReplyDelete